ServiceNow Developer - Role, Responsibilities & Skills (2022)
So you've stumbled on the tag "ServiceNow Developer" and wondered what they do. What exactly does ServiceNow Developers do? Should you hire one? This post aims to answer all these questions.
Who is a ServiceNow Developer?
A ServiceNow Developer is an individual who is trained and skilled in the various aspects of designing, developing, and implementing solutions based on ServiceNow technologies. Such individuals are often responsible for identifying business requirements and creating technical solutions.
Before we talk about what a ServiceNow developer does
Let's take a step back and address the elephant in the room – What is ServiceNow?
Short version: ServiceNow is a cloud computing platform provider based in Santa Clara, California. With its software, organizations can manage digital workflows for enterprise operations.
Tens of thousands of businesses worldwide rely on ServiceNow to do more with less. It was built to address the growing challenges of managing dynamic operations, assets, and service environments and enables your organization to deliver services faster, improve communication, and provide an exceptional experience for customers and employees.
What does a ServiceNow Developer do?
First of all, ServiceNow developers are responsible for managing the ServiceNow platform that an organization uses to manage its operations.
They work with clients to understand their needs, design and build solutions, and implement and test them. They also provide support and maintenance for the solutions they create.
Looking for a ServiceNow Developer?
The job requirement of a ServiceNow developer includes, but are not limited to:
- Developing, installing, and troubleshooting ServiceNow applications;
- Integrating it with other programs;
- Learning about the latest developments in one or more aspects of computer programming
- Training, documentation, and support;
- Lastly, they are also responsible for ensuring that the software behaves as designed by testing it for bugs and performance during all stages of the development process.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Troubleshoot bugs, fix defects, and support users of applications developed by the enterprise application development team.
- Perform code reviews to ensure that the quality bar is being met with regard to coding standards, integration, extensibility, and security.
- Assist in maintaining detailed documentation of application design and code generation techniques used to train other developers on ServiceNow system software.
- Develop enhancements for applications developed by the enterprise application development team.
Requirements and Qualifications of a ServiceNow Developer
ServiceNow Developers typically have a background in computer science or another related field, and they must be able to work with a variety of technologies. They must also be able to think strategically and creatively, as well as be able to manage projects and work with teams.
If you are interested in hiring a ServiceNow developer, they should know the following technologies:
- Web technologies - HTML or XML
- API integrations with other systems
- Configuration of ServiceNow's ITSM service catalog
Other skills a good ServiceNow Developer must have
Suppose you are interested in pursuing a career as a ServiceNow Developer. In that case, you must have excellent communication and people skills and work well in a team environment. In addition to that, having experience working with clients would also be helpful.
Hiring the best ServiceNow Developers
When it comes to hiring the best ServiceNow Developers, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. First, make sure that the candidates have the relevant skills and experience required for the position.
Next, conduct interviews that are both informative and engaging.